Italy Magazine, the US based magazine for lovers of Italian things, has just published an interesting guide for foreigners interested in buying a property in Italy.
They smartly divide the whole procedure in five steps:
1) Understand the buying process (especially legalities and tax implications);
2) Proposal to Purchase, usually made by an agency or an independent lawyer;
3) The survey of the building;
4) The "compromesso", that is preliminary agreement;
5) The "rogito", or completion.
For all details, it is definitely recommended to download and take a look at this useful Ebook.